Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lena and the guinea pigs

This past Saturday Kathleen was at a women's conference for church, so it was a daddy-daughter day. My original plan was to take Lena to the local children's museum (we have a season pass), but she had a little cold, and I didn't want to infect the place.

So I headed out to do errands (and infect those places instead), but Lena wasn't really that jazzed about picking out a new snow blower, so I had planned on taking her to McDonald's (slimy apple dippers = yummy) as the prize at the end of our trip.

But we came out of Home Depot a little after ten with time to kill (and a snow blower in the back of our Buick). In the same parking lot is Petsmart, which we never go into because we don't have any pets. But Lena loves fish, so I thought we could spend 10-15 minutes and give me time to think about our next stop.

An hour later I had to pull Lena out crying. She loved the colorful fish, the noisy birds, the cuddly kittens, and her favorite: guinea pigs. They moved constantly, reacting as Lena touched the glass. So pet store = zoo, except it's free and closer to our house. So next time Kathleen's gone and it's just Lena and I, we may make another trip to the 'zoo.'

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So, Max also loves the pet store. There is one very close to our house. One day we come out of the grocery store (ice cream, milk etc.) and Max asks to go to the pet store. I tell him that we have groceries that are going to go bad if we don't get them home. Jen says, "Come on Dad, let your son have a LITTLE BIT OF FUN in his life." So we go to the pet store and Max names the Chihuahua there "Lil' Bit o' Fun". He used to tell people he had a dog named "Lil' Bit o' Fun" and that we kept him at the store. Best Part: When Max announced to the entire store that Lil' Bit was a boy and he knew how to tell. Worst part: The time we went to see Lil' Bit and he had been sold.

Adam said...

That's awesome. Lena isn't quite old enough to create some of those moments, but I look forward to it.

Beth said...

My dad has been taking my nieces on "ice-cream safaris" basically since they were old enough to walk -- Petsmart (they especially loved watching the dogs being groomed), a feed store in town (so more animals, but at closer quarters) and Dairy Queen. They're 15 now and I think they still get a kick out of it :-)