
So, it's happened. The first big trauma. It happened after we mailed Christmas packages and decided to eat at Taco Johns.
As Lena will tell you, she is a big girl. So, as a big girl she was in a booster seat instead of a high chair. I was sitting right next to her. She was doing great. I think she was a little interested in the window and the space between the window and the booth seat. (Why was there space?? I don't know - Adam says we should sue ;-) I turned to look at something and then I heard a crash-boom-bang and some major screaming. Lena was in that space just big enough for a two-year old between the booth and the window. As I picked her up I saw big drops of blood fall to the floor. I have now learned that when trying to stop bleeding do not take the soaked napkins off just put more on and keep the pressure. Don't keep checking if it's stopped yet, just hold it. After a frustrating call to 911, spilled chocolate milk, and a ton of screaming, the bleeding had finally stopped we made our way to the Urgent Care - which luckily is even closer than the hospital. After 10 minutes (at least) of registering we got in to see the doctor. Then another 15 minutes of holding some numbing medicine on her head, a popsicle, and reading an Easter Elmo book at least 3 times, it was was time to do it. The staples!! They wrapped her up so she couldn't flail her arms and as we talked about her trip to see Santa and the Christmas lights - one, two, three - staples in her head. After a little crying she was consoled by a few stickers. I guess it really didn't hurt. She gave the nurses and doctor a high five and a hug and said 'see you tomorrow' (which isn't really until Monday).
It was probably almost as traumatic for me than it was for Lena. Now that we survived that I hope to never have that happen again. I guess she's not quite a big as we thought. I'd say the high chair is back at least for a while more.
She's doing fine and should have the staples out before Christmas. Merry Christmas Lena! I'm still a little shaken up but will probably survive as well. We love our Lena and are so glad that it wasn't worse.
2 comments:
She is really so cute.
Ok. I decided you're wrong. You are NOT a bad mom. I'm not sure I would've taken my kid to urgent care. I'm pretty sure James wouldn't have. So, I think you're a pretty good mom.
Post a Comment