
You may or may not have heard, but the Boston Celtics won their 17th NBA title on Tuesday. I'm a little late getting a post up, but I wanted to do so while it was still timely.
I (Adam) am a nut-job sports fan, which comes from my Dad. I spend a lot of emotional energy on the Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots and BYU football.
But the Celtics hold a special place for me. I was born on June 6, 1976, the same day the Celtics beat the Suns 87-80 for the NBA title. As the story goes, while my mother was beginning labor, Dad and the doctor were watching the game on TV. This story explains a lot about me. I probably came out of the womb complaining to the television about a referee's call.
My Dad has been a lifelong Celtics fan, and though his move to Houston has lessened his ability to watch the games, he's still a true fan. I don't know what made me more happy: watching the Celtics win, or after it was over, thinking about my Dad thousands of miles away grinning as broadly as I was.
So happy Father's Day and Birthday, Dad. I think a Celtics victory was great present.
No comments:
Post a Comment