About a month ago, Kathleen and I were enjoying a beautiful Wisconsin spring evening on our porch. Lena and Clare had joined us outside for some play time.
Shortly after they started playing, a huge, black grasshopper-like insect joined us by jumping into the middle of the concrete porch. It startled the two girls, who backed off. I told them not to worry; the bug wasn't going to hurt them.
With that piece of information, Clare sprung into action. She quickly stomped the black bug, but partially missed, only wounding the poor little guy. I told her not to do it again. She turned to the bug and said, "Sorry, Mr. Bug."
Kathleen and I laughed at her name for the insect, and shortly thereafter Lena went inside to get ready for bed. Clare was still outside with us, talking with her new friend, Mr. Bug. "How are you, Mr. Bug?" "Do you want to go home, Mr. Bug?" "I love you Mr. Bug." Kathleen and I couldn't stop laughing.
After a few moments, Clare lost interest and went inside. She came back out and ran across porch, squishing and killing Mr. Bug in the process. As she turned around (oblivious to the fact that she had stepped on her new-found friend), she saw the flattened creature.
"Oh no! Poor Mr. Bug!"
May you rest in peace, Mr. Bug. And hopefully where you're going the feet of little children will be less dangerous.
1 comment:
THAT is hilarious!
Post a Comment