Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A pet penguin

Last night I had a hilarious conversation with Lena I thought I would share. This happened right after our family prayer, when Lena told me she forgot to ask God for something.

Now, this is my recollection of the conversation. The actual words and order are probably a little off. But the general idea is there.

Dad: What did you want to ask God?
Lena: I want a pet. A pet penguin.
Dad: You want a pet penguin?
Lena: Yes.
Dad: People don't keep penguins as pets.
Lena: Why not?
Dad: Because they need to live where it's very cold and they need a lot of water.
Lena: But it's cold in Wisconsin.
Dad: Yeah, but it's warm in the house.
Lena: What if we left the door open? Wouldn't it get cold in here? I think the penguin would like to live here then.
Dad: Yeah, but we can't do that; it will get too cold in here.
Lena: The snow could come in. It would go up to the ceiling! How would we get around?
Dad: We could dig tunnels.
Lena: We could open the door and push all the snow out.
Dad: Even if you did that, it gets too warm here in the summer. A penguin needs to have cold all the time.
Lena: Are there places with snow all the time?
Dad: Sure, someplace like the North Pole.
Lena: Can we move to the North Pole?
Dad: No, Lena. There aren't any houses at the North Pole. It's too cold for people to live there.
Lena: Yes, but Santa has a house there.
Dad: Yeah, but he has magic. I don't.
Lena: Could we go there to visit Santa and the penguin?
Dad: We don't have the right kind of car or plane to get there.
Lena: Maybe we could go with Frosty. He gets to the North Pole.

I don't think this is the last we heard of the need for a pet penguin.

4 comments:

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

A penguin? So funny! You should tell her that Santa only lives in the North Pole in the winter. He has a condo in Arizona during the summer months.

Mindy Dean said...

Tell Lena that your friends the Deans have pet penguins. Puffins live off the coast of Maine in the summer for mating. You can take a boat to see them. And then maybe she'll convince you to come visit us sometime :)

Kathleen Mangum said...

Mindy - that would be so fun. We would love to come visit. With all the family reunions it is hard to get anywhere else.

KaraLyn said...

I love you guys! Maybe that will be my next ploy with Lena. She doesn't believe that I'm Ariel anymore, but perhaps I can get her to believe I have a pet penguin. So excited to see you!